While the benefits are often substantial, earning elite level status tiers with hotels can often be extremely difficult. As a result, if you’re seeking status without wishing to spend half the year in one hotel chain, “fast-track” opportunities or status challenges can be a great alternative to obtaining status the hard way.
One good example of this is the SPG Platinum Challenge.
Ordinarily, SPG Platinum status requires you to make 25 eligible stays or stay 50 eligible nights in a calendar year. However, the SPG Platinum Challenge gives you SPG Platinum status if you stay 18 paid nights in a 90 day period (and for the challenge purposes, a stay does not include award/Cash & Points bookings, or bookings made through third party websites (e.g. Expedia).
To take advantage of the SPG Platinum Challenge, SPG members need to call the relevant SPG telephone number to be enrolled. You should, however, be aware that the Platinum Challenge can’t be requested by members who have been Platinum within the last 5 years.What are the benefits of SPG Platinum Status?
The benefits are set out in full here, and include:
- Three Starpoints for every U.S. dollar spent on eligible stays — a 50% bonus over Preferred.
- Your choice of welcome gift upon arrival — choose from bonus Starpoints, continental breakfast or local amenity.
- An upgrade to best available room at check-in — including a Standard Suite.
- Complimentary in-room, premium Internet access.
- Complimentary health-club, Club-level and Executive-level access.
- Guaranteed room availability when your room is booked by 3 p.m., 72+ hours prior to arrival.
Can you make getting Platinum status any easier?
Not really, but bear in mind that Starwood hotels have a wide range of properties, that are regularly on offer (not least in the weekly round of SPG Hot Escapes). At the time of writing, you can stay in the Four Points by Sheraton Kuching, Malaysia, for €39 a night.
Don’t forget you can also get instant Hilton HHonors Silver status, and a fast track to Gold (you need to make 4 stays in 90 days) here.