A sensationalist headline perhaps, but we really have yet to see reward flights (i.e. free flights gained through airline points) cheaper than those available through airberlin’s topbonus topdeals.
They’re the airline equivalent of IHG hotels’ acclaimed 5000 point PointBreaks. Like PointBreaks, topbonus topdeals appear at intervals, and the good news is, they are currently available.
Standout redemption options include (one way, availability in both directions):
- Berlin to Abu Dhabi – was 30,000 now 12,500 points
- Berlin to Cologne/Dusseldorf/Frankfurt/Stuttgart – was 7500 now 1500 points
- Berlin to Oslo – was 10,000 now 2500 points
- Dusseldorf to Marrakech – was 20,000 now 10,000 points
- Vienna to Milan/Rome/Munich – was 10,000 now 2500 points
- Munich to Cancun – was 30,000 now 15,000 points
- Mallorca to Nuremberg/Stuttgart/Munich – was 10,000 now 2500 points
Note that you do need to pay fees and taxes.
The full list is available here. You need to move fast though – bookings must be made between now and 14 September 2014. You can check the travel periods in the link above, but they’re generally from 15 October 2014 to 31 March 2015.
To give you some idea of just how cheap these redemptions are, you can earn 500 free airberlin points simply by signing up to the scheme and opting to receive emails, and another 1000 points by signing up to a newsletter. So that’s your first reward flight sorted!
Aside from the option above, if you don’t have any topbonus miles, airberlin topbonus is an American Express Membership Rewards partner for members in Germany and Austria (5 MR points = 4 topbonus points). If this applies to you, it’s well worth taking a look at these deals to see if a points transfer is worthwhile.