Lufthansa have joined the ranks of airline allowing customers to bid for upgrades, by launching a new, mildly misrepresented, offer called “myOffer” (a name which I’m sure took handsomely paid German executives several weeks to come up with)
The offer is confidently billed in the press release as “setting your own price” for an upgrade from Economy to its new Premium Economy, and is available for all Premium Economy Class destinations. However, as you’ve probably guessed, you can set your own price, but that’s no guarantee you’ll actually get the upgrade.
The process for bidding on the upgrade is described by Lufthansa as follows:
- Log in with your details under ‘My Bookings’.
- You will be notified if your booking is eligible for upgrading with ‘myOffer’.
- Click on the link to the ‘myOffer’ page if an upgrade to Premium Economy Class is possible.
- Now you can name the price that an upgrade is worth to you.
- Then you can enter your credit card details, review your offer and submit it.
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail.
- Any time up to 72 hours prior to the scheduled departure of your flight, you can still change or cancel your upgrade offer. Simply log in again under ‘My Bookings’ and modify your offer on the ‘myOffer’ page.
The selection process will take place between 72 and 36 hours before departure.
All passengers that have placed a bid will receive an email no later than 24 hours before the flight, confirming whether or not the bid has been successful. If the bid is not successful, passengers will not incur any additional costs.
The FAQs for myOffer are available here.