As most frequent travellers will be aware, Priority Pass is a pay-to-join club that gives you access to airport lounges.
It usually has some kind of an offer on membership prices, but one current Priority Pass discount is as good as we’ve seen. Members of Marriott Rewards (join for free, here) can get a discount of between 10 and 20%, depending on the type of membership purchased, and an additional 3 months free. The link to book this offer is here.
Clearly, which of the three membership packages (Standard, Standard Plus or Premium) best suits you, if any suit you at all, will depend on your individual circumstances. Taking them each in turn (we have used Euros and US$ as the example currency, just select your country of residence for GBP etc):
- You get 15 months membership for €79 instead of 12 months for €99 ($ costs identical)
- Each visit costs you €24 ($27).
- When calculating that “€24 a time” cost and comparing it to the options below, you of course need to factor in the membership fee. If you only visit once in the 15 months, that visit has cost you €103. Conversely, visit 6 times in those 15 months, and you’d pay €223, so you’d have been better off going with Standard Plus (below).
- Given our calculations below, we see little point in the Standard membership.
- You get 15 months membership for €199 instead of 12 months for €249 ($ costs identical).
- Your first ten visits are free, thereafter they are €24 ($27).
- Accordingly, your first ten lounge visits will cost you €19.90 a time, and you have 15 months to use them.
- You get 15 months membership for €359 instead of 12 months for €399 ($ costs identical).
- All visits are free
- Clearly, the 3 months free is potentially of the most benefit here.
By our maths, if you will visit a lounge 17 times or more in the 15 months, you are better off going for the Premium membership.
To summarise the effective per visit costs (based on membership fee and additional entry fees):
- 5 visits: Standard is €39.80 per visit, Standard Plus is €39.80 per visit, Premium is €71.80 per visit.
So Standard is best value for 1-5 visits (albeit Standard Plus is of equal value for 5 visits)
- 16 visits: Standard is €28.94 per visit, Standard Plus is €21.44 per visit, Premium is €22.44 per visit
So Standard Plus is best value for 6-16 visits
- 17 visits: Standard is €28.65 per visit, Standard Plus is €21.59 per visit, Premium is €21.11
So Premium is best value for 17+ visits
Of course, visit a Priority Pass airline lounge 100 times in the 15 months and the cost with Premium is €3.59 per visit – in which case, it makes great sense (although in these circumstances you’re clearly a very frequent flyer and so likely to have airline status, and probable free access to lounges in any event…)
You can check which airport lounges are covered by Priority Pass via this link.