In terms of the pure mileage cost, we really have yet to see reward flights cheaper than those available through airberlin’s Topbonus Topdeals. The obvious warning here is the tax also applied, but there are still some good value deals available.
They’re the airline equivalent of IHG hotels’ acclaimed 5000 point PointBreaks. Like PointBreaks, topbonus topdeals appear at intervals, and they are available as of today.
Standout redemption options include (one way, availability in both directions):
- Berlin to Frankfurt – was 7500 now 1500 miles
- Dusseldorf to Hamburg – was 7500 now 1500 miles
- Dusseldorf to Zurich – was 10,000 now 2500 miles
- Dusseldorf to Milan – was 10,000 now 2500 miles
- Stuttgart/Vienna to Alicante -was 10,000 now 5000 miles
- Vienna to Athens – was 10,000 now 5000 miles
- Basel/Nuremberg to Djerba – was 20,000 now 7500 miles
- Berlin/Dusseldorf/Stuttgart to Abu Dhabi – was 30,000 now 15,000 miles
Note that you do need to pay fees and taxes.
The full list is available here. You need to move fast though – bookings must be made between now and 14 September 2015. You can check the travel periods in the link above, but they’re generally from June 2015 to February 2016.
To give you some idea of just how cheap these redemptions are, you can earn 500 free airberlin points simply by signing up to the scheme and opting to receive emails, and another 1000 points by signing up with Sixt car rental – enough for your first redemption flight!
Aside from the option above, if you don’t have any topbonus miles, airberlin topbonus is an American Express Membership Rewards partner for members in Germany and Austria (5 MR points = 4 topbonus points). If this applies to you, it’s well worth taking a look at these deals to see if a points transfer is worthwhile.